Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:52 PM
I salute you all for making MTBMLE a dominant theme in education discourse. While we must not lose sight of our achievements, we should also not be complacent. The next task is to ensure that enough push is given to the MLE Bill at the House.
A congressional hearing is scheduled on September 7, 2010, 10:00am at the Mitra Building to discuss the language-in-education bills in Congress. The meeting was called by the Committee on Basic Education headed by Salvador Escudero III.
Resource persons have been invited by the committee for guidance in its deliberation of the pending bills. May I call on you therefore:
(1) issue a statement of support to House Bill No. 162, also known as the Multilingual Education and Literacy Bill, filed by Rep. Magtanggol Gunigundo. Send your statement of support/position paper to:
Maria Josefina J. Roque-Ricafort
Legislative Committee Secretary
Committee on Basic Education and Culture
3/F Ramon Mitra Building, Batasan Complex
Constitution Hills, House of Representatives
Quezon City 1126
Contact Nos: (63) 951-4333 (telefax); (63) 931-5001 loc. 7146
Email add: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
(2) attend that hearing on September 7 and other committee hearings in the future;
(3) recommend resource persons for the language-in-education bills (give us their name, name of the organization that they represent, postal address, e mail address). Please act on these three items as soon as possible. You may also want to:
(4) write to your respective congressional representative to also support the Gunigundo Bill; Gullas camp is made up of seasoned congressme;
(5) write to President Aquino for endorsement of House Bill 162 as a priority measure of his administration;
(6) organize an MTBMLE forum in your institution or locality; and
(7) to invite other education stakeholders to do the above-stated.
Thank you and see you at the Congress next Tuesday.
Ricardo Ma. Nolasco, PhD
Associate Professor, UP Department of Linguistics
President, 170+ Talaytayan MLE IncorporatedUP Diliman, Quezon City